The following are Donations and Activities we accomplished during the 2016- 2017 year:
2016- 2017 Accomplishments
Club Members held four successful events to raise money for charitable giving. They were the 8th Annual Holiday Home Tour, the Art is Everywhere Tour, Food, Friends and Fashions and the Gala to fight Human Trafficking. These activities enabled us to give the following:
- $16,000 in scholarships to eight deserving female seniors in Martin County high schools;
- $3,000 to IRSC for a woman’s Fire Science Technology Scholarship;
- $2,500 to IRSC for a woman returning to school;
- $4,000 for renewals in 2017;
- $7,500 to Past Recipients from 2017 to follow girls to graduation;
- $3,000 to the Martin County S.P.A.M. Robotics Team;
- $4,500 to students from ages 12 to 17 for Arts scholarships at local centers of learning for art, music and theater;
- $750 to Heroes on the Water and provided lunch for 35 veterans;
- $750 to Vietnam Veterans Go Fish;
- $2,000 to Dogs for Life;
- $1,170 to Children’s Emergency Resources to cover services for two vision providers for 14 clients;
- $1,150 to Building Bridges to Youth, Inc. in gift cards and free rental for graduation;
- $52,000 to fight Human Trafficking in partnership with Catch the Wave of Hope;
- $1,200 in gift cards for guests at Molly's House who are visiting the sick at the hospital; and
- $350 for a high school sophomore to participate in HOBY Leadership Training.
In addition, many club members served the community at events mostly sponsored by one of our six Community Service Committees:
- Donated 30 wheel chairs to individuals in India, Kenya, and Colombia through our partnership with Wheels of Life (International Outreach);
- Won Best in Show, two First Place Ribbons and one Third Place Ribbon in the Annual GFWC Florida State Arts & Crafts Competition ( Arts);
- Won First Place in Education at the Annual GFWC Florida State Annual Spring Convention (Education);
- Conducted a Pizza Pajama Party at the Hacienda Girls Ranch donating hundreds of personal care items and pajamas (Home Life);
- Hosted and supported a Community Awareness Meeting on Human Trafficking conducted by Catch the Wave of Hope (Public Issues);
- Volunteered at the Alzheimer’s Walk (Home Life);
- Raised $1,520 by our club Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Team and participated in the walk (Home Life);
- Tutored at risk children to improve their reading skills inpartnership with the 4C’s (Education);
- Volunteered at the Gertrude Walden Child Care Center (Education);
- Donated over 100 palm trees for 4th graders at JD Parker Elementary School in Stuart (Conservation);
- Planted flowers and pruned shrubs on club grounds (Conservation);
- Participated in the annual Stuart Christmas Parade (Girlfriends Committee);
- Collected Cleaning Supplies for the Stuart Florida Assertive Community Training Program, a local program which helps the mentally ill (Public Issues); and
- Maintained Children’s Library at the 10th Street Recreation Center (Education).
2017- 2018 Goals
- To work together to strengthen our community, raise funds and enhance the lives of others through volunteer service.
- To increase-participation and member involvement in our six GFWC Service Committees.
- To enjoy our spirit of camaraderie that encourages membership growth and produces friendships.
- To take pride in our volunteer sprit and our club.
Welcome to the
GFWC Woman's Club of Stuart